HEY – drop that store bought gluten free cookie right now!
Ok so I’m on a gluten free kick lately. This time it’s because my mother in law recently expressed her exasperation in trying to make her favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe gluten free.
I had 2 recipes I was going to try this weekend, but there is no way the other recipe can beat this one – I was blown away by these, they’re SO soft, cakey, and they hold their shape. Additionally, the batter isn’t gloppy or stretchy like with some recipes. It actually resembles regular cookie dough. And it TASTES like a regular cookie! I’ve never used Quinoa flour till now and I am super impressed. These cookies are the most delicious gluten free chocolate chip cookies ever.
2 cups quinoa flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup coconut oil, softened
5 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In large bowl whisk together quinoa flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
3. In bowl of an electric mixer beat together butter, coconut oil and brown sugar until smooth. Add in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla; beat again for 1 minute or until smooth and creamy.
4. Add in flour; and mix on low speed until just combined. Slowly add in chocolate chips.
5. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheet leaving 2 inches apart. Gently press each one with the palm of your hand. Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges just being to turn a golden brown. Do not over bake; we don’t want crispy cookies here!
6. Remove from oven and let cool at least 5 minutes on baking sheet. The cookies will need to set and will be very fragile at first so you have to be a little patient for the edges to harden a bit before removing them. Once the edges and bottom harden a bit, transfer to wire rack to finish cooling. Makes 40 cookies if you don’t eat much of the raw cookie dough!